Under the general direction of the Director of Automation, the Automation Engineer will provide design application engineering and operational support for automation and control projects from inception through installation.
Essential Job Functions
- Design of instrumentation and control systems for various systems including water, wastewater, and industrial customers to include selection and specification of process instrumentation, PLC and HMI equipment, and electrical and networking components.
- Collaboratively work to develop electrical schematics, wiring diagrams, and control narratives based on customer input, field observations, existing drawings, supply partners, and other available information.
- Develop/approve engineering drawings for production.
- Using quality assurance principles, create verification tests and acceptance standards.
- Provide operational support for the implementation and integration of control systems to ensure adequate and reliable operation.
- Manage small projects including developing project plans and leading project activities, such as estimating, production and coordinating with internal and external resources to meet customer requirements.
- Communicate with internal and external customers as to project status, challenges and needs.
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Instrumentation and Controls, Automation, Electrical Technology or related field and at least three years of experience in automation, or equivalent combination of education and experience/training required.
- Must possess strong knowledge of process controls, motor controls, instrumentation, automation principals, and industrial networking.
- Must possess basic engineering, analytical and problem-solving skills to address complex technical issues.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft products; experience with Allen-Bradley/RS Logix 5000/RS5000 and Factory Talk View platforms preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning and adaptability required.
- Ability to work well with others in fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to job sites and outside locations for meetings. Occasional overnight travel required.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with State, Federal and Local Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
If you believe you have what it takes to work in a high tech, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility a must, then Thompson might be the right place for you.